PDA

View Full Version : Windows VISTA and Novatech 8317 Laptop (problems)

Sith
31-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi,
Well after buying Windows VISTA and installing it on my Novatech 8317 laptop ok it won't seem to boot vista - just get a cycling blue screen of death, reboot, etc. with the error "STOP 0x000000A5"
The VISTA documentation suggests I get an updated BIOS as this one does not support ACPI.

Looking at the Sticky post for BIOS updates I have had a look on the manufacturers web site http://mtc.mitacservice.com/visitor/v_welcome.asp but it seems that there is no BIOS update for the 8317.

Has anyone here found a BIOS update file for the 8317??

I bought the laptop Nov 2005 so is a fairly modern unit, 2200Mhz AMD Athlon 64 3400+ with 512MB RAM.

Thanks very much!

Simon

Ben
02-04-2007, 08:26 AM
I found the following solution, but its for XP. If you are able to do this during the Vista install. Would be worth a try.

STOP: 0x000000A5 (Parameter1, Parameter2, Parameter3, Parameter4)
The ACPI Bios in this system is not fully compliant to the specification. Please read the Readme.txt for possible workarounds, or contact your system vendor for an updated bios.

The bios in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor for an updated bios. If you are unable to obtain an updated bios or the latest bios supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed--it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation."

Sith
02-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I tried this but no good, F7 does nothing in Vista boot up and it needs ACPI anyway thats why they removed this function i guess.

It's really annoying after paying for Vista too, the search continues!

Cheers

Ben
03-04-2007, 08:06 AM
After reading a problem that someone else is having with Vista. It looks like your laptop may not work with Vista. :(