Thread: Has Hollywood Got Any Imagination Left??

Novatech Staff Member Sebastion Steel's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Has Hollywood Got Any Imagination Left??

With the huge slew of remakes and reloads of classic movies that seem to be coming out of the movies machine of late does anyone think that they just cannot find any original ideas anymore!!

Just have a look at some of the stuff coming up...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/4502...the_works.html
    "There are 10 sorts of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont!"

Thanks

It's a sad state of affairs to be sure. But I'd argue it's not a lack of imagination that's the problem. More like a risk aversion.

If one bad movie can bankrupt your studio, are you going to take a risk with the edgy indie flick or are you going to bank on proven IP that you know is safe?

Game development studios tend to suffer from the same problem. When the cost of production is so astronomically high it only takes one clanger to put you in the red.

Intel i5 3570K - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance - EVGA GTX680 - Crucial M4 SSD - Powerstation 850W PSU

MvM - Independent Advisor system7's Avatar
    Thanks

It's been going on for years in lots of areas.

Beethoven No.1, Beethoven No.2...Beethoven No.9...

crysis, crysis 2...

I rest my case.

I was amazed that Hollywood recently felt the need to remake the Swedish Classics "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "Let the Right One In" for American audiences. What's wrong with subtitles? Oh, right, 25% of people are functionally illiterate.
    Best Regards from Steve. Jeantech Titan case. Asus M4A78L-M and AMD Athlon II X4 630 @3.5GHz @1.35V on stock cooler. PowerColor HD 5770. 2X 2GB Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066. 2X Seagate 7200.10 160GB SATA HD. Optiarc DVD Burner. Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU. Samsung 19" 1440X900 WS. Logitech X-240 2.1. Windows 7 Retail 64bit.

Thanks

It's sad too, there are so many great books out there that would make awesome films too and all we get is remakes and sequels half the time.

Apprentice
    Thanks

They keep remaking foreign films do you know the korean movie Oldboy? a couple of years ago they wanted to make an American version and staring Will Smith!
    “When will I learn? The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV!”

Thanks

I'm never impressed when they make a film out of a classic series as well. Somehow hollywood manages to destroy the very thing that made the series what it was.
    Mission Impossible is a good one. Kill off the IMF team and turn it into a Tom Cruise action film yeh, right!
    As far as remakes of films go, only a few ever surpass the original anyway. I was interested to hear they were remaking 'Forbidden Planet', though it's not on the list. Whether it will be any good is another matter altogether.

Thanks

this just about sums it up...
    http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movi...ed-mark-harris

With that in mind, let's look ahead to what's on the menu for this year: four adaptations of comic books. One prequel to an adaptation of a comic book. One sequel to a sequel to a movie based on a toy. One sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a movie based on an amusement-park ride. One prequel to a remake. Two sequels to cartoons. One sequel to a comedy. An adaptation of a children's book. An adaptation of a Saturday-morning cartoon. One sequel with a 4 in the title. Two sequels with a 5 in the title. One sequel that, if it were inclined to use numbers, would have to have a 7 1/2 in the title
    Last edited by Mr Grapes; 23-02-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    main rig:2500K~P67A-GD55~8GB~2xHD6850 XFire~HP ZR24w
    XBMC HD project
    archive:Q6600~P4 2.4b~XP1700+~P3 800~P3 500~K6-2 500~P 200 MMX~486 DX2-66~Amiga 500~C=64~apple //e
    FKA MG Man

Thanks

Let me say that I have had many wonderful nights at the cinema! I love it for the total absorption it can provide.

Zorba the Greek, Lawrence of Arabia, Babette's Feast, The Last Temptation of Christ, Zulu, Casablanca.

Sadly Hollywood is concentrating on opening night blockbusters like Predator 6 or whatever.

Or Avatar 2:

Big movie cinema is now a teenage phenomenen, helped by profitable coke and popcorn sales. Some people say cinema is in trouble, like Adrion Hon:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technol...ovie-industry/

Personally, I still think repertory or arthouse cinema can be good. But I'd rather watch TV in general.
    Best Regards from Steve. Jeantech Titan case. Asus M4A78L-M and AMD Athlon II X4 630 @3.5GHz @1.35V on stock cooler. PowerColor HD 5770. 2X 2GB Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066. 2X Seagate 7200.10 160GB SATA HD. Optiarc DVD Burner. Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU. Samsung 19" 1440X900 WS. Logitech X-240 2.1. Windows 7 Retail 64bit.

Thanks

after watching heston's thing the other night....

the popcorn in the bag costs less than the bag itself... (less than a penny per serving - which i can understand, a half kilo bag costs less than £1 in the supermarket, so even less in bulk and a small scoop full unpopped makes a bucketfull popped.)
    heston broke a bag and the manager was more concerned about the waste of the bag than the contents of it

and for this they charge £4.00 odd
    how many other products have > 400% markup!
    no wonder they want you in the cinema!
    XBMC HD project
    archive:Q6600~P4 2.4b~XP1700+~P3 800~P3 500~K6-2 500~P 200 MMX~486 DX2-66~Amiga 500~C=64~apple //e
    FKA MG Man

Thanks

AAARRRGGGHHHH noo they are going to franchise Blade Runner!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peeej View Post
    AAARRRGGGHHHH noo they are going to franchise Blade Runner!
    Ew, but there's good news too! A couple of other Philip K D1ck books made into films in the offing.

Dick’s life and work, which began to resemble and blend into each other during his years in Southern California, are the subject of a new film, “Radio Free Albemuth,” starring Alanis Morissette and currently seeking distribution. (The novel, published after his death, and film both offer a character named Philip K. ****.) “The Adjustment Bureau,” an adaptation of an early **** story starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, is due in the fall, and several other projects — as well as lawsuits over his ever-growing estate — are cooking.
    The Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt looks rather good. Trailer here: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...unusual-movie/

Thanks

Ooohhh!

didn't know the adjustment bureau was a PKD story.

wonder if it was in the compendium i had from the library (and hence don't have anymore - but included minority report)
    I read all the stories in it so might have read this one unwittingly

orig story:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustment_Team
    Last edited by Mr Grapes; 09-03-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    XBMC HD project
    FKA MG Man

Thanks

Hoping to go see the Adjustment Bureau this weekend

Novatech Staff Member
    Thanks

I kinda wanna see 'Battle: Los Angeles'. Not sure if it will be any good....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by system7 View Post
    Ew, but there's good news too! A couple of other Philip K D1ck books made into films in the offing.

<snip>
    I recently managed to get hold of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" on my kindle. It bears almost no resemblance to Blade Runner. Thoroughly enjoyable and thought provoking book; provided you keep the book and the film seperate in your mind that is.

Intel i5 3570K - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance - EVGA GTX680 - Crucial M4 SSD - Powerstation 850W PSU

Thanks

most PKD based movies bear no resemblance to to the original stories.

total recall was 'similar', minority report was kind of close with a wildly different ending.

not sure about the others.
    but then how many times are film translations of ANY books faithful
    XBMC HD project
    FKA MG Man

Newcomer
    Thanks

It's such as shame as good cinema doesn't need to cost that much. It's usually better if films are made with hardly any budget, no cgi and just let the acting and script take over.....

Thanks

I hardly watch a film these days, it's got so predictable how things are going to end, I still enjoy the Mi3 etc, bit of unrealistic blood and guts doesn't do any harm, I prefer docs these days.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Yeah, i'd have to agree with you on that, I re watched Band of Brothers recently. So good. I'm glad they made it into a mini series instead of just jamming it into one film!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks

Absolutely agree with this thread, plunging to new depths these days...

Personally made me particularly furious was there is to be another short circuit movie, and a remake of the dirty dozen. Was devastated
    Twitter - @angryidealist
    Personal Blog - www.theangryidealist.co.uk
    Hosting Company www.justahost.co.uk