Thread: Advice on malware software

Newcomer
    Thanks

Question Advice on malware software

Hello

I currently have kaspersky internet security running on my system and at the moment everything seems fine. After reading a few articles I am now considering running extra programs such as spybot search and destroy, and malwarebytes in addition to the already installed kaspersky. Does anyone know if this is a good idea or even nessecary, if so where should I download these from as searches bring up several download sites and I dont want to accidentally download the very thing that I am trying to protect against.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thankyou

Thanks

I can only speak from personal experience but: I would never use one of the "paid for" big "I can do everything" type of programs. There are plenty of free programs out there. They all have strengths and weaknesses. So the answer is to use many different ones and have a plan on how to use them. My main Win7 rig has Microsoft Security Essentials installed and running. That covers the day to day stuff but I don't rely on it alone. Once or twice a month I sit down as run a battery of other programs to deep clean my system.

A2 (A Squared) From Emsisoft
    Malwarebytes Free anti-Malware
    Spy-bot Search and destroy

So I run these from time to time. There are other things you can do. It's a big bad world out there but some of the more interesting things on the net are in the seedy parts of town. Just like the real world you are more likely to get mugged in a bad part of town and you are more likely to have something bad happen on the net there too. So What to do? I'm not going to suggest you moderate your behaviour, be a good little boy and don't go there. So there are some steps you can take, some of these are for the truly paranoid.

Download a copy of Puppy Linux, burn it to CD. Whenever you want to walk on the wild side slip the disk in the drive and reboot your computer... There will be a whole Jekyll and Hyde thing going on. As you are running from a CD and the whole OS is running in RAM nothing gets written! Reboot and everything is just as it was. There are other ways but this is the simplest. You could download Virtual-box and install a OS and run the session virtually. Again this separates your actions in one session from the rest of your system.

Word of warning, All these do is protect your system. It dose not prevent your actions from being recorded on the servers you visit.

Thanks

Yeah I agree with the software being advised but I walked on the seedy side of town and got infected, while I was visting a geography site, so its not just dodgy sites tahtc an cause infections, in fact I got more problems looking for a formula to calculate distance from lat longs then I ever did looking a naughty stuff!!

Thanks

MalwareBytes is a good second line of defence. Stick with the freeware version and just perform regular scans on demand as the 'pro' version only really gives you the ability to perform scheduled updates and scans and have it running continually in the background which could interfere with your main AV.
    Lets be careful out there !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peeej View Post
    Yeah I agree with the software being advised but I walked on the seedy side of town and got infected, while I was visting a geography site, so its not just dodgy sites tahtc an cause infections, in fact I got more problems looking for a formula to calculate distance from lat longs then I ever did looking a naughty stuff!!

I read an article the other week that said those sort of hobby sites are the worst places for getting infections, far more likely than **** sites due to the amateur nature of their construction.

Personally I find Malwarebytes deals with the majority of infections I come across but use a combination of spybot search and destroy (immunisation is great, tea timer not so much), malwarebytes and securiy essentials. Occasionally I'll run a scan using superantispyware too.

Newcomer
    Thanks

A walk on the wild side wasnt really what I had in mind as most of the issues as previously mentioned by Peeej have come from either perfectly inocent sites or from facebook (The wife, not me). Thankfully kaspersky has stopped them all but after a progressive slowdown of the system I fear that it may have missed something. Which site would be best to download malware bytes from??

Thanks

I downloaded from the Malwarebytes website here
    PC1: Lian Li A77A, Corsair 650TX, Asus P5Q Deluxe, Intel Q9450, Corsair H50, Buffalo Firestix 4 GB PC2-8500, Gainward GTX 260 16, Sony DRU-190A, LG L226WTQ, Windows 7 HP 64.

PC2: Antec 300, ThermalTake Toughpower 600w , MSI NEO2-FR, Intel E5200 with stock hsf,
    OCZ 4GB Titanium XTC PC2-6400, Sapphire Radeon HD 3870, LG GH22, LG M2380DF, Windows 7 Pro 64.

Thanks

A vote for the Zonealarm Suite from me (if your PC is man enough to run it, if not you'll hate it).
    I use this, I put it on all the non technical user PCs I look after. I run the freebies now and then but they NEVER find anything.
    At the moment it is £24 for 3 licences, it is the best £8 you can spend if you have a not too old a PC and can share the other 2 copies.
    "Self pity will kill you".

Apprentice
    Thanks

i can get you anti malware bytes pro for free if you send me a pm, i'l sort ya out with it

Thanks

Legally? If not please don't talk about it here.

Apprentice
    Thanks

yes it is legal i guess....

Newcomer
    Thanks

I've always stuck to single anti-viral software, like McAfee or Norton, rather than having lots of little ones since I have the worry of viral software overriding each other or getting confused. Or your best bet for free anti-viral stuff would be something like AVG which is quite popular. I know Groupon were selling premium AVG for £9.99, although I'm not sure if that's sold out already.

Thanks

McAfee and Norton are both awful, AVG last time I looked was pretty low down on detection tests and it certainly has become more bloated in the last year or so. I'd not recommend any of those.