Thread: n Tablet and Windows 8, at last a usable tablet!

Newcomer
    Thanks

Default n Tablet and Windows 8, at last a usable tablet!

Well its been a long slog but I have final got a ntablet that actually works at a acceptable speed ruining Windows. I have been down the road of Android all the way up to 3.2 and found that although android works and is fast, its just not yet usable on the ntablet. The Atom processor used is simply not supported by most android apps. Even those that you eventually manage to install still don't work as they should. I was limited to a handfull of old apps. Android Market just refuses to accept the tablet as a valid device and with out that your stuffed.

So why the happy face

Well I installed Windows 8 ( pre beta version ) and after about 2 days of fiddling about, have a fully working ntablet. Now when I say fully working I mean

Camera working in video and still mode
    Sim card working can make calls and sms
    SD card working any size read and write
    SSD disk working
    Sound working
    Touch Screen Working
    Head phones jack working
    Screen resolution 1024x768(a must for windows 8) can be set to 1152x864
    G sensor working
    Wifi working
    Bluetooth Not working

Its not as fast as android!! but it is 100x faster than Windows 7, but more importantly its a usable speed.

Also as its windows you can run most of your normal windows stuff as Windows 8 has very good compatibility mode. I have got every thing on my PC running on my ntablet ( space permitting ) Flash, Java and all that stuff works fine.

Sim card works fine, This was the hardest thing to get working. You will need the original 3G software ( the samsung stuff) and will need to run in XP SP3 mode as administrator to get connection manager to run.

You also need the original RealTeck audio software to get sound.

You also need original VGA software to get G sensor working and adjust screen resolution above the 600 limit. This is done by installing original VGA drivers and the editing the registry, look for entry starting "Display1_" and change from 0 to 1 and restart, you will then need to adjust the resolution and will see you can now go above 600.

So its taken around 8 months but at last a usable tablet

I know this is not a step by step description on how to do it but anyone who has a little knowledge will be able to do it.

You Must have original ntablet software!. The downloads from other sites are not correct versions. I first used the Vewpad10 software but it did not work. I eventually found the original disk that came with my tablet and it worked fine.

You can download the Windows 8 preview here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/preview

I did not attempt a dual install. You will need to make a bootable USB from the Windows 8 ISO, then simply follow the on screen instructions and let widows do its stuff. When installed windows will boot and run. You will have no sound no sim and stranded graphics resolution. The Windows 8 new GUI will not work as it need grater than 1024x600 to run. Switch to desktop and install,

1) Original VGA software
    2) Original Sound software
    3) Original Chip Set Software
    4) Original 3G (Samsung software)

*******DO NOT install the original wifi and Bluetooth software as it does not work and will damage the windows 8 settings and kill your install you have been warned****

That's it you now have a fully functioning (99%) tablet that runs at a nice usable speed. The Bluetooth needs an updated driver but I've not been able to track one down. As I don't use this I'm not that concerned but if anyone knows more about this would be nice to get that last bit sorted.

So for everyone how is stuck with an ntablet as a paperweight now you can bring that useless brick back to life

Just a quick update!

Found that the flicker API in Windows 8 was producing very jerky animation of the HD photos! had to be a memory issue as I have high speed BB. Fitted a 2gb micro SD card and turned on readyboost and animation is now smooth and windows 8 running a little faster probably not as good as updating the internal memory but defiantly worth doing.
    Last edited by Zahid; 15-11-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: fix grammar

Newcomer
    Thanks

I am no big fun of MS's tile UI so was hoping that windows 8 would give me a classic desktop with improved speed.

However, when finish installing, the tile UI was shown with no problem but nothing that I click works, is there anyway that I can disable this?

My other problem is the touch screen issue which has a mind of it's own, sometimes I have to click multiple times to get it to work.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmp669 View Post
    I am no big fun of MS's tile UI so was hoping that windows 8 would give me a classic desktop with improved speed.

However, when finish installing, the tile UI was shown with no problem but nothing that I click works, is there anyway that I can disable this?

My other problem is the touch screen issue which has a mind of it's own, sometimes I have to click multiple times to get it to work.

The tile UI will not work until you increase your screen resolution to above 600!

The touch screen requires original drivers to be installed.

Newcomer
    Thanks

I was hoping that I can get rid of the tile UI completely, not sure there is a way though.

I'll try to insall all the driver again to see if can make the touch screen works better.

Many thanks Zahid

Newcomer
    Thanks

Hi,
    I have installed Windows 8 CP and am trying to edit "Display1_" but there are quite a few can you please tell me which I should change from 0 to1? Or does it only work in Dev Preview
    Thanks

Newcomer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyhill View Post
    Hi,
    I have installed Windows 8 CP and am trying to edit "Display1_" but there are quite a few can you please tell me which I should change from 0 to1? Or does it only work in Dev Preview
    Thanks
    First make sure you have installed original VGA drivers! Then

1. Type in Win+R and put ‘regedit’ (without the quotes) into the box.
    2. Search for ‘Display1_DownScalingSupported’ and change the value from ’0′ to ’1′ May be more than one depending on your tablet!! change all.
    3. When your system has restarted, when you right-click on your desktop and choose to change your screen resolution, you should now see options for 1024x768 as well as 1152x864 resolutions in addition to your previous resolutions.

Have fun.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Hi,
    That's it working thanks for your help. I'm off to try the modem next!

Newcomer
    Thanks

Well this is an old posting but still,

Well Microsoft did it again! The Windows 8 i have been using for the last year or so had been disabled by Microsoft. Windows 8 preview now shuts down every 2 hours. Well I decided to buy and upgrade as it works ok on the ntablet and I was happy. So pay my £24.99 and download the upgrade! Well not quite. After 10hrs of download it failed and then again. Not wanting to waste any more time I got a refund from Microsoft and looked elsewhere for a solution.

So say hello to Zorin OS. Yes its Linux and it is based on Ubuntu. However this distro looks like windows and what's more works with the old ntablet. The Lt version is free the full version is about £10.00! Just down load burn a bootable USB and just install. It installed first time without any issues. its nice and clean and works. It will give you a working basic ntablet.
    Its available here http://zorin-os.com/