Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware phone scam

Thanks

Default Beware phone scam

You may get Mr Callcentre ring you telling you your internet connection is slow and they need to boost you, they know who your ISP is, pretty easy to find anyway, anyway they will ask you to go to a page called TEAMVIEWER where they will then try to get you to install their software which will then I imagine give them full control of your PC or at the very least stack it up with spy and malware, the number is 01521253648, so hang up on them and DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING, this is a con, it used to be your PC is corrupted allow us to fix it by you opening up online access to them.

You've been warned so be careful these people do not care about de-frauding you, it's their mission infact.

Apprentice
    Thanks

they never learn, i get a phone call from a 'windows support company' a few times each month lol i've taken it upon myself to have a very nice yelling match with the person on the other end Makes you feel all better afterwards ha
    [Zer0]Darker - Founder of the Zer0 Hour Online Gaming Community - www.zer0-hour.co.uk
    Xfire=darkerx2

Thanks

ISP's need to start sending out written warnings over these scams, so many un-savvy people fall for them sadly

Dedicated Follower randommagik6's Avatar
    Thanks

TeamViewer isn't theirs
    Xenon: AMD FX8-8120 @ 4GHz (Hyper 212P), 8GB Corsair 1600MHz, Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3, 1TB Seagate, Samsung 120GB, MSI Radeon 6850, Acer 1080p, Dell 1280x1024, Kenwood 600W amp, Roccat Kave Headphones, Novatech Powerstation 500W
    Reality(LAN and Server machine): AMD Athlon II 640, 8GB Corsair 1333MHz, ASUS M4N75TD, 500GB Samsung, 120gb Toshiba, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, LG 1080p, Sony MDR-v500, Novatech Powerstation 400W

and an awesome HTC One porta-powerhouse for OTG gaming

Thanks

I use team view all the time and as a piece of RDP software it great, i tunnels through my firewall and proxy at work and alllows me to remote to my home desktop.

My mum had one of these call and thanks to her being pretty savy for her age managed to keep them on the line for 30mins trying things with erh comp before she asked if she needed to turn it on to make it all work, at which stage they hung up :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by randommagik6 View Post
    TeamViewer isn't theirs

Maybe not, but it's a remote access program and they want you to install it, it certainly wasn't anyone from my ISP who called, I played him along for a few minutes because boosting internet speed from the ISP isn't done from a program on a PC it's done at their end and they control what you get speed wise, hence the busy time throttling they do when a user is using all the band up at busy times.

Anyway, be careful, even if the program is honest they aren't using it for that reason, it will if configured right share all your files with the world.

Novatech Uber Techie
    Thanks

Well warned, Musthaveittoday.

I cannot tell you how much my colleagues and I loathe the perpetrators of this kind of scam - mostly becomes it catches the old / those who can least afford to lose the money.
    Novatech Managed Services/Network Operations Centre

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Novatech Staff Member Ryan L. Drake's Avatar
    Thanks

Ditto what Mike said. I alone have spoken to at least 4 or 5 people who have spent hundreds of pounds on these scams during my time at Novatech Tech Support.

Please be wary out there people!
    I am a qualified Technical and After Sales Support Advisor working for Novatech.
    You may have spoken to me on the phone, in the Portsmouth store,
    on Live Chat, or through email.

If you require urgent support or are wishing to speak with one of us,
    the best way is either through the phone or on Live Chat.

My posts on this forum are of my own personal views, experience and opinion.
    They do not necessarily represent the views or opinion of Novatech Ltd.

Thanks

I keep getting a call from someone claiming to be my ISP and saying my computer is infected with a virus and it keeps trying to send it out. I've just been telling them my pc takes ages to load up and then just leaving the phone on the side they hang on for like 20mins. lol

Novatech Staff Member Ryan L. Drake's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mebby View Post
    I keep getting a call from someone claiming to be my ISP and saying my computer is infected with a virus and it keeps trying to send it out. I've just been telling them my pc takes ages to load up and then just leaving the phone on the side they hang on for like 20mins. lol
    These people deserve to be led on, for the amount of distress they give others, so fair play to you.

On a serious note;
    If they claim to be from your ISP, tell them that they'll have your account number, which will give them your address details and put it in writing. Then hang up. If you never recieve a letter, you'll know it was a scam.
    I am a qualified Technical and After Sales Support Advisor working for Novatech.
    You may have spoken to me on the phone, in the Portsmouth store,
    on Live Chat, or through email.

If you require urgent support or are wishing to speak with one of us,
    the best way is either through the phone or on Live Chat.

My posts on this forum are of my own personal views, experience and opinion.
    They do not necessarily represent the views or opinion of Novatech Ltd.

Thanks

i kind of wish i'd receive these kind of calls, got a spare VMware system, really want to see what they could do.

wonder how long before they figure out it's an empty sandbox.
    i7 2700k \ 16GB \ gtx580 \ D2x \ z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ Ax850 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
    X100 \ 5D mkII \ 70-200 L \ 24-105 L \ 17-40 L \ 85/1.8 \ 270ExII \ 430ExII \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

Thanks

Had another one of these yesterday, after being told I had unwanted files that they could remove for me I asked for an explanation of exactly where and what these files were, muppet couldn't and got quite flustered when I pushed him on it, call ended up with him stating 'Sir, I will can not continue this call and I am hanging up'... lol.

Thanks

I got a call from the standard Indian Microsoft employee who leads me to a site where he can remotley control my PC. I deliberatly played along for a while, then asked him to hold, went and made a cup of coffee, a bacon sandwich, did the dishes and tidied my room. Came back 40 minutes later and he was still there! Told him I knew what his game was, he shouldn't work for such a disgusting company and to never call me again.
    OLD Rig @ Home:
    Q6600 CPU @ 3.6Ghz / AC7 Pro cooler / Abit IP35-Pro XE P35 mobo / OCZ 4GB PC2-6400C5 DDR2 / 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 / PNY GeForce GTX 570 Graphics card - 1.25 GB/ Corsair TX 650W PSU / Antec 900 / JBL Creature II 2.1 / Saitek Eclipse II / Logitech G5

Uni Laptop:
    Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.10GHz) / 6GB DDR3 SDRAM / Radeon HD 6770M 1GB GDDR5 / 750GB 5400RPM HD /Blu-Ray / USB 3.0

Thanks

THEY'RE BACK AGAIN 02278622786 YOUR NET CONNECTION IS SLOW ETC, YEAH YEAH YEAH, I wasn't in only wish I had been I've been waiting to tie one of them up for an hour or so before I prick his balloon with the two tone air horns down the phone.

Thanks

:'( I hate when people do this and defraud a real legitimate program that has been and will continue to be used to help people be it individually or professionally.

Thanks

Had another call the other week, 'problems with my windows computer' he said, 'what windows computer? I open my windows manually' I responded, this went on for about ten minutes before he hung up in frustration

Thanks

When you answer the phone, pretend to be the local police station!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Had another call the other week, 'problems with my windows computer' he said, 'what windows computer? I open my windows manually' I responded, this went on for about ten minutes before he hung up in frustration

Superb, absolutely superb.

Newcomer
    Thanks

Hi all,

My old man gets calls like this all the time usually followed by him saying 'not interested' before they can get a word in about their product and slamming the phone down.

One time I was sat having my lunch at a normal time of around 1PM and the phone rings and dad answers on the walkabout phone 'Hello?' then a moment later 'Who's calling?' repeat again after a few seconds then to me 'It's for you' 'Hello its someuselessimbecile (insert staff members name here!) here from freeloaders (insert name of bank here!) and I wish to discuss your account' and then it's my turn 'What are you calling me for? It's lunch time.' 'I'm sorry I didn't know.' 'LOOK AT YOUR WATCH. WHAT THE **** TIME DO PEOPLE HAVE THEIR LUNCH??? DON'T CALL ME AGAIN.' presses end call button.

I used to work in customer (dis)service and learned from the boss how to handle any caller trying to sell/con/borrow things sometimes not as subtle as the above!

Then there is a friend who doesn't have a computer and asked could he log on to their site using his typewriter! I kid you not....

Jim

Note to self: buy air horn.
    If at first it doesn't boot try a bigger hammer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Musthaveittoday View Post
    THEY'RE BACK AGAIN 02278622786 YOUR NET CONNECTION IS SLOW ETC, YEAH YEAH YEAH, I wasn't in only wish I had been I've been waiting to tie one of them up for an hour or so before I prick his balloon with the two tone air horns down the phone.
    Air horn down the phone -what a superb idea :lol:
    Lets be careful out there !