Thread: What no Ivy Bridge chatter?

Thanks

Default What no Ivy Bridge chatter?

How come there is no Ivy Bridge chatter here? Is everyone busy with tier Sandy Bridge set ups and not interested.

Tweak town had an intersesting article here about the i7 3770 & the i5 3570

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/46...pus/index.html

Any planning on an upgrade come end of April? I've been looking at the 3770 but am concerned about the reported temperature issues. Going to have to wait and see once the NDA is lifted.

The z77 mobos also looking interesting especially the Gigabyte offerings

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/22857/...rds/index.html

Discuss!!

Thanks

These forums are pretty dead to be honest.

Thanks

I think maybe the forums should be advertised on the website more, get more people involved to talk about things!
    Intel i5 3570k 4.8GHz @ 1.424v ¦ EK Supremacy CSQ CPU Block ¦ EVGA GTX 780Ti ACX ¦ Schiit Modi DAC + Magni Headphone Amp ¦ 8GB 1600mhz LP Vengance ¦ Seasonic G-Series 650W ¦ x2 64GB Crucial RealSSD RAID0 ¦ MSI Z77A-GD55 Mobo ¦ CM Storm Trooper ¦ Laing D5 + EK D5 Plexi Top ¦ EK X3 250 Res ¦ x2 EK XT240 Rads ¦ Mayhems Blue Berry Pastel ¦

Thanks

Around 5-6 years ago these forums were pretty awesome. Lots of stuff happened on here, folks logged in and stayed on for 8+ hours a day! A few years after there were some major changes, and more changes, and more. Upshot is, a few members got annoyed, posted some very rash comments that got them banned. They went, others went with them. Simple as really.

Nox
    Qmicra V2, i7 920, 6GB, ASUS Gene Rampage, 128GB SSD, BFG 275 GTX, Win7 - AND IT'S SILENT!! ~/~ Alienware m11x ~ Love it!

Save the Earth - It's the only planet with chocolate!

Thanks

Yup, there are only a few posters now and none of them seem to be interested in Ivy Bridge :-(

I wonder where everybody has gone... It seems to be particularly dead in the last couple of days only 4 threads have been posted in in the last 24hours...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peeej View Post
    Yup, there are only a few posters now and none of them seem to be interested in Ivy Bridge :-(

I wonder where everybody has gone... It seems to be particularly dead in the last couple of days only 4 threads have been posted in in the last 24hours...

I remember the "good old days" when you had ppl like Geordie #1 moderating and banning anyone his cyberstick could reach, funny thing he got banned himself eventually, it's a typical net club thing, if I can't have my own way I'm off, and if Dave ain't coming out nor am I, pretty pathetic when you think NT is virtually the best value to buy from and has been for many years, then we get the self procliamers who think owning the most expensive graphic card is a membership to actually knowing anything about a PC, (Butterz & Wu stand down I don't mean you) nor anyone else currently here for that matter, but you know the type, look on the up though, those still here seem to help each other rather than slam the knowledge stick into someones face if they dare to ask for help, bit of fanboy rivalry I think makes a place go round better as well, still I guess if a Dell forum where you can discuss how to remove the unremovable **** they sent your PC out with float's yer boat then that shall be their choice, Dell, hilarious how anyone could buy from them, it's like buying a locked up spy cam, they are so controlling they actually have FW written for them to stop you reading certain disc's or modding the O/S, they likes you to ring that toll number to swell their account even more, latest model, Dell i7 2600 Bloater spec including locked optical, locked bios, locked HDD so you can't get rid of all their snooper software, well you can if you know how, but the average user doesn't do they, can't give an opinion on Dabs etc as I've not had the pleasure before.

Thanks

it is just a die shrink, around 10% speed improvement over current sandy bridges. wait for Haswell.

what is really good though, are inclusion of DisplayPorts on z77 boards (namely Asus boards) and their ability to drive 2560x1600 monitors. surely people won't be still on lower-than-a-10'-tablet resolutions?
    i7 2700k \ 16GB \ gtx580 \ D2x \ z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ Ax850 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
    X100 \ 5D mkII \ 70-200 L \ 24-105 L \ 17-40 L \ 85/1.8 \ 270ExII \ 430ExII \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

Thanks

Nice one Wu, soneone actually talking about IB!!

Problem is I doubt whether I'll have the cash when Haswell comes out (late next year isn't it?). Just got promoted so will have more cash for a while but by then it'll be all gone as you always live to your income!

Currently running a C2Q9550 at 3.4 so it does OK but its still on DDR2 and SATA II so an upgrade all round should see a considerable improvement (speacially as I have a SATAIII SSD) and I don't like the idea of just upgrading the mobo and RAM whcih will likely be redundant and need replacing on the next upgrade be it Haswell or whatever comes next.

I suppose the question about the display is whether the Intel 4000 IGP will be able to drive monitors at such a large resoluton when running games. Although most gamers will always prefer a discrete GPU. I've read that Lucid are producing somehting that will allow the IGP and the GPU to trade off some of the work so that the GPU is only used when its really required, although there seems to be doubts about wether it willa actually work but its shipping on the new z77 gigabyte boards IFAIK.

Thanks

i was extremely disappointed with z68 motherboard line up when i learnt even with DP, they can't drive 2560x resolutions.

but yes, the only reason to use those ports are to take advantage of Lucid's technology. i personally have no doubt that it will work brilliantly on Asus boards. my current Gigabyte board is a huge disappointment, although it's near the high end with UD5 in its name. Asus boards are the one to look out for, doesn't waste space on outdated ports, HDMI + DP, more space for USB ports and even or a laptop card port.

coming from C2Q, you'd be in for a treat. i went from i7 860 (high-end) to an i5 2400 (mid-range), it's superbly fast, getting more GFLOPS on LINPACK despite there are less threads, and a lot faster in games. so yes, i think you should upgrade.
    i7 2700k \ 16GB \ gtx580 \ D2x \ z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ Ax850 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
    X100 \ 5D mkII \ 70-200 L \ 24-105 L \ 17-40 L \ 85/1.8 \ 270ExII \ 430ExII \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

Thanks

Ahh it must just be the MVP stuff thats new? It supposed to help boost frame rates and increase the Vsync tear on 60hz monitors.

I'm on Asus at the moment and was thinking about staying with them but will wait for the reviews before I decide. Roll on the end of April when they finally release the chips. Thats 1/2 the fun of upgrading isn't it research before the purchase (at least for me anyhoo)!

I'd still be tempted with IB if the rumours about heat issues are true, although I run a WC loop to the processor so it shouldn't really be a huge issue I suppose. Been wathcing the i7s although I'm not sure if they are going to be worth the extra for gaming. I beleive that the current i7 2600k doesn't have the bang for bucks that the I5 2500k does for gaming, although both OC nicely.

Thanks

IvyB seems to have huge potential, see another info this time about passing 3GHz memory barrier:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/23164/...ier/index.html

Thanks

A document obtained by tech website CPU World indicates that a first wave of Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors will be launched on the 29th of April with a second wave scheduled for the 3rd of June.The site published three mobile CPUs which might be used in MacBook Pro (the Core i7-3720QM, 3820QM and 3920XM) with four cores, eight threads and frequencies varying between 2.5GHz and 2.9GHz and prices ranging from $378 to an eye watering $1098.

Thanks

Ivy Bridge review from an overclockers perspective...

This is a long video but should put people straight, it's good but not great...

Thanks

He's a pretty good reviewer that guy, wonder what Linus is saying though.

Thanks

i met that guy at an AMD event a months or so ago. in fact, im in his AMD event video, standing with BigIan

Apprentice
    Thanks

i7 3770K GTX680 OC MSI Z77A-GD65 OCZ RevoDrive3 X2 - VORTEZ TV!

Newcomer
    Thanks

im one those people disappear for ages but im back for now ^^