Thread: nSpire 2760: "The speed of processor [...] is being limited by system firmware"

Avid Fan
    Thanks

Question nSpire 2760: "The speed of processor [...] is being limited by system firmware"

Just got a new nSpire 2760 (NNB-943) and have been putting it through its paces. I've spotted a number of messages of the following form in Windows 7's event log:
    Event 37, Kernel-Processor-Power
    The speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
    I think they tend to happen around heavy workloads (e.g. transcoding some of my videos with 8 threads enabled), but I can't be sure of how to provoke it repeatably. CPU temperature peaked at 83C, but I've not had any strange hangs or spontaneous shutdowns.

• Are these messages part of Intel Turbo Boost kicking in, reaching the "red line", then backing off (possibly causing confusion elsewhere)?
    • Have any BIOS updates been released for this machine that address this? (I have BIOS version 300 on my notebook.)

(I also note a similar message under Linux when loaded, e.g. 8-process kernel build: "Package power limit notification". Again, the build finished without problems. I guess this message means again that the load limits were reached and the processor throttled back --- I don't know enough to say whether or not this is considered a normal part of Turbo Boost.)
    Last edited by ettlz; 06-05-2012 at 08:33 PM.