Thread: HP G7000 Laptop - Needs a booster

Banned
    Thanks

Default HP G7000 Laptop - Needs a booster

Hey all x). I got a HP G7000 Laptop and before I slag it off, I just wanna say it's pretty good ^^. Only thing which frustrates me is the graphics chip. It's Intel rubbish... wondering if anyone knows how to get the lag down quite a bit for gaming (I'm not exactly asking it to play Call Of Duty 4, just Grand Theft Auto San Andreas).

The Specs:

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP G7000 Notebook PC
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 3062MB RAM
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Display Devices

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

I'm predicting the only way to solve the lag issue is to just sell this and get a new laptop (do my homework this time making sure it has a half decent graphics chip). Although if I can get a program or something to improve it, I'm up for trying that x).

Edit: Also noticed that when I go in-game, if I look in task manager I find it's only letting the game use CPU 1. Is there a way I can make it a highest priority by default, without having to do it every time (which fails mainly because the game crashes out).

Thanks

UD,

As you have guessed, the rather poor onboard 965M graphics chipset isn't up to much. A shame you didn't find one with the X3100 option - would have worked fine with GTA:SA.

On to your multi-core issue; GTA:SA is not, as far as I know, designed to run on multiple cores so it errrr won't. The best you can do is set the affinity so that it runs on the core which has the least load but you won't see any real improvement. Setting 'high priority' can cause problems, won't really improve performance in a game, and isn't worth the effort. (It is for benching).

It's a shame, because the HP range of laptops is pretty good for a mainstream offering; light, stylish, good all-round performers but what you have there is a student/office/reps machine with the graphics stripped right down to keep the cost low.

Either of these from Nova will make you very happy, the X55 being the pick of the bunch, especially if you have a larger external monitor for home use and will extend to games well beyond GTA:SA.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/r...c=gaming&r=X60
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/r...c=gaming&r=X55

Banned
    Thanks

Thx for your help, but I'm not really in a position to start buying new laptops. I paid £500 for this less than a year ago and you can get similar spec laptops for £350. What you recommended is about double that and if I hand £350 I would be making use of the £180 of parts I already got :P.

Devotee
    Thanks

Just learn laptops suck for gaming.
    Gaming: Corei7 920 D0 4Ghz 1.16v | Prolimatech Megahalems | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 | XFX 5870 1GB ***
    3x2GB 1800mhz Kingston HyperX | 2x64GB G.Skill Falcon SSD | Asus Xonar D2X | Samsung F1 750GB
    Silverstone SST-DA850 | Antec 300 | Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Mini ITX: E5200 | Noctua NH-C12P | Zotac GF 9300-I-E Nvidia | 2x2GB 800Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tracer Red
    150w PicoPSU | Samsung F3 1TB | Lian-Li PC-Q07B | Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Dell U2410 | Logitech G5 | Logitech G15 Rev2

Newark, Nottinghamshire. (re-arange Newark, see what you get!) :|
    Thanks

You could always try an SSD, it should add a welcome boost! Im running fear 2 @ med settings on 1600x900 with a 3470 512mb and a p8600, its runs 14fps min, average of 20 and highs around 27 but with the ssd installed im achieving a nice and playable 19fps min, average of 24 and highs of 29 which has certainly made it a little more playable. Wouldnt know what kind of increase you will get with that 965 chipset but it should see some boost.

Andy

Thanks

Hmmm.... any post along the lines of 'just learn...' is consigned to the kiddie bin and utterly unhelpful on this forum. Utterly. Please don't bother; we aren't the kind of community who like that sort of post.

The SSD suggestion will certainly make some inroads, but you're flogging a dead horse here UD - there is nothing that will magically transform that HP into a gaming machine. Despite the single-syallable response from one of our members, laptops can be perfectly good for gaming as long as you match your expectations to your budget.

I based my recommendations based on your post that seemed to understand the HP was never going to cut it:

I'm predicting the only way to solve the lag issue is to just sell this and get a new laptop
    If you can't afford to upgrade, all I can suggest is trying Andy's recommendation of an SSD; I certainly can't help any further mate - sorry.

Banned
    Thanks

Thankyou pplz.