A15A laptop needs BIOS update

Need a Novatech A15A bios update as laptop screen goes blank when in windows 10 but works on external. A lot of laptops have this issue and is usually fixed with an update of the BIOS.

Can you confirm the current System BIOS version you are running on your Unit. This should be shown on the main BIOS page

Done now ty. Received your email and worked a beaut.

I have the same problem can you help please

Sent you a mail with links and instructions

Regards

Thanks COOPS
however I have now encountered another hurdle, when entering BIOS there are no USB ports listed to allow booting from pen drive

Please make sure UEFI Boot is disabled / CSM enabled. As BIOS must be flashed in legacy mode. So if UEFI is enabled you will not get boot option for USB Device formatted in DOS boot.

Hi, I’m having the same issue. Could you help me, please?

Hi Siko

Is this for A15A Chassis you are asking for. What version BIOS does your unit currently have on it??

A different but related question. I too have an A15A, and have been experiencing booting problems, as reported elsewhere. I’ve got :Aptio Setup Utility, Version 2.01.1204. (American Megatrends Inc.) The boot sequence options there are DVD, and HD. (I think that there used to be an Atheros Boot Agent option as well; have I hidden or disabled this?) Anyway, I’ve been having attempted HD boots failing. A reported fix asks me to “… disable BIOS-compatibility/CSM/Legacy mode in your UEFI firmware”. Is there a way that I could do this, and if so, how?" I’d like to repair my boot as suggested in the boot-repair report … “The current session is in BIOS-compatibility mode. Please disable BIOS-compatibility/CSM/Legacy mode in your UEFI firmware, and use this software from a live-CD (or live-USB) that is compatible with UEFI booting mode. For example, use a live-USB of Boot-Repair-Disk-64bit (www.sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd), after making sure your BIOS is set up to boot USB in EFI mode.” How best to do this? TIA

I currently have nil experience in flashing, but would be prepared to do whatever it takes to set up a boot from HD. TIA.

Hi Alec

Can you provide a little more detail, the other issue is about people installing WIndows 10 in UEFI mode which leads to black screen when boot to desktop.
The discussion about using a Live-CD sounds very much like you might be using Linux here so can you provide some more detail on your setup what it is you are doing here and what the problem is.

Hi COOPS,

Yes, I’m using Linux. Ubuntu specifically. (And have done successfully for various versions on this PC for many years.) Recently I downloaded 20.04 to a DVD and and installed from this; but this would not boot from the HD. In trying to rectify this, I suspect that I’ve misconfigured the BIOS boot. And I don’t see how to proceed with the boot options available. The Aptio Setup Utility that I mentioned has, IIRC, a copyright notice dated 2010. It might still be usable; but if there were a reasonable way to upgrade this, I’d be prepared to do this if needed. (Incidentally, I have loaded another disro as well now, giving a dual-boot, but only to see if I could get this to work any better. It does not.) Advice would be gratefully received. TIA

Hi

When you installed Linux do you know if it was installed in MBR Boot or UEFI Boot. This will have an effect on how the BIOS is configured otherwise if not set correctly the OS will fail to start loading.
However if the OS does start to load and then fails during the linux startup then this will be something else causing the issue.

Can you look in the BIOS and tell me the version of BIOS you are currently running, it will be some in the 200 or 300 range so will be something like 208 or 301

Hi,

Sorry, I don’t know how the Linux was installed at any time. The BIOS version seems to be 302. An extract of a dmidecode report reads " dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 2.6 present.
74 structures occupying 2391 bytes.
Table at 0x000FC970.
Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 302
Release Date: 02/13/2012
Address: 0xF0000
Runtime Size: 64 kB
ROM Size: 2048 kB
Characteristics:
PCI is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
…"

HTH

So just to be clear have you actually completed the whole install of Ubuntu and the issue is on the first restart after install so it should now be booting from the Hard Drive. If so how far exactly does the boot of the OS get before it fails.

Well, at present, I’ve also installed Xubuntu, and a default boot takes me, via a grub menu, to briefly display the graphic for that, then a quick flash of a couple of lines mentioning the recovery journal, and a cleaning report. Then the process stops with a blank screen. I can get a bit further, via an initial start with an installation CD, but not much further. I’ve also managed to run a boot-repair repair report. I could send extracts of this; but could I send the entire report via the upload button in the top menu of the dialog box I’m using to compose this reply, or by some other way?

Hello,

I also need a bios update for A15A please. current version is 300

Where do I download it from or can someone email it to me?

Kind regards,
Zak

OK, here’s a try of uploading the boot-repair report. One image per page.

Hi. I’ve just acquired a Novatech laptop. I am also having issues with Windows 10 showing a blank screen when I reboot windows like a lot of other people.
I have run msinfo32 on the laptop and the smbios version is showing as 2.16 and the model of the laptop is showing as A15A / A15HE
Would it please be possible to email me the link to download the latest bios with instructions?
Many thanks in advance

Hi

Please can you get the system BIOS version from the Main screen of the BIOS so we can confirm what updates you require. This will be a 2xx or 3xx series number such as 208 or 301