Bios boot order N1538

Can someone help with the bios boot order for a Nspire N1538 running windows 7 as laptop will not fully shut down i have read that this might be a cause of the problem.

Hi Martin

Your N1538 is an A15YA model, this works absolutely fine with Windows 7 and there is no reason why a change to the boot order would affect shutdown in any way.

If the unit is hanging at the “Shutting Down…” screen this is normally caused by a system service or driver, can you confirm that the same issues occur when using Safe Mode?

If it stops whilst using safe mode, this would confirm that theory and then we can work to address that.

Kind regards,

Ryan

Update: For your information, if you did want to access the BIOS setup for whichever reason, you need to press F2 repeatedly as you power the unit up.

Ryan
Thanks for your reply.
In safe mode it hangs at the windows shutting down screen in normal mode it shuts down to a black screen but requires a forced shutdown to fully turn off.
It did shutdown fully on the restart button a couple of times but now restarts on this button as it should.
I should also mention this was happening before i installed a new hard drive and a fresh version of windows 7 from disc.
I have tried every reccommendation from the Net to no avail!!!
Regards
Martin

Hi Martin,

That’s no problem at all - hopefully we can get it to work for you! From the information we have so far, it sounds like more of an issue with the OS being able to tell the unit to “switch off”, than anything else - possibly suggesting an issue in the power circuitry within the laptop itself.

Can you confirm that the problems continue when the unit is on mains power alone or battery power alone (i.e. remove the battery and check it still happens when just on mains)?

In addition, can you confirm that you are still running the driver pack as provided by us over on this link; Laptop drivers for legacy chassis ?

Kind regards,
Ryan

Hi Ryan
Black screen but no shutdown on either power options.
I did use the drivers you provided and i have also tried updating them to see if this would make a difference but they all came back as the correct up to date drivers.
The laptop turns the screen off then sounds like it is going to shutdown but just hangs, would this be down to a programme not stopping in time to allow the computer to fully shutdown?
I hope this reply helps
Regards
Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the update - as you’ve already reinstalled Windows, unless you’ve also been reloading the same problem software each time before doing a reboot - it’s unlikely to be a software issue.

At this stage I would suggest the laptop comes into us for a diagnosis to confirm the issue is hardware related. We would charge £30 for this service (assuming from the age of the chassis that the unit is out of warranty) and it can be booked by popping in store with the unit or giving us a call on 02392 322 500.

I hope this information is useful,

Kind regards,
Ryan