There are many reasons why you would want to convert between MBR and GPT, some for compatibility with older motherboard and operating systems (Like Windows XP) or for newer systems like UEFI based systems and hard drives bigger than 2Tb in size.
##Please backup your data or you will incur data loss during this process.
###Converting to GPT:
- Open disk management by pressing Win + R and typing “diskmgmt.msc” then press Ok.
- Find the disk you wish to convert and remove all volumes from it (Right click and select Delete volume)
- Once all the volumes have been removed right click on the disk to the left
- Select “Convert to GPT disk” or “Convert to MBR disk” depending on your desired outcome
- Recreate any volumes on the drive by right clicking on Unallocated space and selecting create simple volume.
Just as a follow up to this, if you need to convert during the Windows installation, please follow the below steps, again this process will wipe the hard disk specified;
- Start the Windows installer by booting from the Windows media.
- Open an elevated command prompt by pressing SHIFT and F10 together on the keyboard at the “Install Now” screen of the Windows installation
- In the command prompt. type diskpart and press enter.
- At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk and press enter - make note of the disk number you want to perform this action on.
- At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk 1 (where disk 1 is the number from step 4) and press enter
- At the DISKPART prompt, type clean and press enter
- At the DISKPART prompt, type convert gpt or convert mbr as appropriate, and press enter.
- Now close the command prompt window and follow through the rest of the installation process.