Elite N1815 Laptop Motherboard

I purchased an Elite N1815 laptop online from Novatech back in June of this year and was idly wondering about upgrading memory/drives etc. I had already upgraded the drives and memory at the time of purchase and wanted to see if things could be improved further. The starting point was to find the make and model of the motherboard but this was not as clear-cut as it seems, because this information could not be found on either the accompanying Driver/Manual CD-ROM or Windows 10 apps/commands (except for a generic “NHx0DBDE”). I was expecting something along the lines of an Asus or GigaByte motherboard but was disappointed to learn that what was fitted is a Clevo NH77DEQ. According to Wikipedia, Clevo is a Taiwanese OEM computer manufacturer which produces laptop computers exclusively. They sell barebone laptops chassis (barebooks) to value-added resellers who build customized laptops for individual customers. They are a Taiwanese company that manufactures mainly in China. The consensus on the web is that they are cheap and have fairly good specs. The laptop itself appears to be of decent quality but I guess my main beef is that Novatech has sourced the cheapest option for its pre-build laptop systems. I paid a little under £1,230. Anyone else out there with a similar story?

Hi, So this is a complex question to answer and can be quite long winded especially if you have not got previous understanding of the Electronics industry manufacturing process. All around us we have products with big brand names on. However when it comes to these products manufacturing, in some cases those brands make none of the products they sell or they make some of them but not all of them or if they are big enough they might make all of them. However this is not usual the case and most likely some of the products are made by some other company under contract. So this is important to understand cause this is where Clevo falls in to the picture. They are not one of the brands you see for sale directly to the end user. They are one of these companies in the industry who makes things for other people under contract to sell to end users. Two of the biggest that do this sort of thing are Pegatron and Foxconn as examples if you want to research more in to it and those two in particular make probably everything you can think of when it comes to electronics.

As far as Clevo is concerned they are what we would refer to as a “whitebox OEM supplier” who specifically target the laptop market. They work with companies like us to deliver laptop solutions under our own brand. Clevo will produce the barebone product for us with any custom changes we would like. The barebone product is then shipped to our factory in the UK where in turn we complete the final assembly and testing before delivering to the market / end user. Through this partnership between Novatech / Clevo we can deliver good quality systems under our own banner at a more respectable price point rather than just box shifting some big brand item with a mark up on it. Clevo have been doing this for a very long time and are probably one of the most respected in this particular market sector. Clevo is certainly not the cheapest for this process, plenty of others who could do it cheaper but I think anyone in the know in how this industry works and for all the companies that use them would agree Clevo is the one to use.

In the end it comes down to choice as well. If you want Asus or Gigabyte then you can get those and we can certainly sell those if wanted to, but by working with a partner in the manufacturing sector it gives us the chance to do something slightly different under our own brand rather than just being a box shifter of something else. So in the end its up to the buyer, buy the big brand name or try something different.

Sorry if that went a bit long but its quite an in depth subject. But hopefully that provides some insight in to the process. If you want to know anything specific about your system then do let me know and I can answer for you.

Best Regards
COOPS

Thanks for the detailed and informative response, Coops. I guess I was guilty of prejudice in assuming that all the Novatech laptops came with a “pukkah” branded motherboard but your explanation has brought me up to speed with the way that modern business works. In the past 30 years of owning PCs and laptops I have always purchased from Novatech, giving Currys/PC World a wide berth, so I am happy with the way you guys work. As for the laptop, I’m more than happy with it and my next upgrade is to Windows 11 after the post-launch dust has settled!

You are most welcome. If we can be of further help in the future then dont hesitate to get in touch.

Best Regards
COOPS