Gaming Monitor Recommendation Needed

So I’ve currently got a couple of old 22" 1920x1080 60Hz monitors that are getting a little long in the tooth and I’m looking to replace at least one of them with a 27" gaming monitor.

Now the question is, do I go for another 1920x1080 resolution monitor but with a refresh rate of 144Hz, or go for a 1440p monitor instead? Can’t really afford a G-Sync monitor.

I have a Asus ROG Strix GTX1080 so the increased resolution shouldn’t make the card struggle (too much), but where would I see the biggest upgrade when gaming? The increased refresh rate and lower latency, or the increased fidelity from the larger resolution?

I’ve been eyeing up the following:

Iiyama G-MASTER Red Eagle GB2788HS 27" Gamer, 144hz LCD

Iiyama G-MASTER Silver Crow GB2783QSU-B1 27", 1440p LCD

But if anyone else has any other recommendations, then I’m all ears. Gimme your recommendations :grinning:

Depends on what types of games you are playing, I’m guessing FPS?

If strategy or city building, then I’d go 4k, oh and I did.

Yeah, pretty much FPS. Mainly PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds and Battlefield 1 (with some Overwatch thrown in) at the moment. Currently leaning towards the 144hz to keep the frame rate up :thinking:

I run with a 144hz freesync display at home. Switching back to 60hz is actually surprisingly noticeable. Hard to describe beyond just numbers, but playing things like Overwatch just feels so much smoother in terms of reaction.

After a fair amount of reading I ended up going with the BenQ Zowie XL2430 144Hz … and damn, what a difference :smiley:

I know it’s not a 27" like I said in my OP, but figured as I wasn’t increasing the resolution then I didn’t need that much bigger a screen :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like