Graphics card upgrade to AMD FX 6 6300 8GB

Hi all, I am looking to buy a new GPU but unsure as to what would be the best way to spend the > £250 budget I have.

I currently have a Radeon HD 5770.

I’m about to order more RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

And a new monitor - AOC G2460PF - LCD monitor - 24" 144Hz Refresh rate https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/monitors/24inchmonitors/g2460pf.html

When looking at the monitor I read about the AMD free sync tech and this is what is making me look at an AMD Radeon card.

I have seen recent adverts for the new Radeon RX 480 but don’t know if I’d be wasting my money on it.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Good afternoon,

I would strongly advise the RX 480 if possible, it is a surprisingly powerful card for the price, with this in future you will be able to crossfire 2 cards together to get just under the performance of the GTX 1080, NVidia’s flagship card.

This gives you an upgrade path for the time being allowing you to double your power later when you need to, however at present you will find the RX 480 an ideal graphics card for the price, especially since you are considering freesync monitors, I’ve included a recommendation for you to consider.

The only thing to watch out for would be what games you are planning to play and at which settings, this will ultimately decide what card would be good for you.

Thanks very much for the reply, I’ve added the card to my wish list.

In terms of the RAM, I have 2 X 4GB at the moment, can I just add another 2 X 8GB to make 24GB in total, will that work ok?

Thanks again.

Not a problem, I’m glad I could help.

As for the RAM technically yes you can do this and it will work however it is not prefered, I would advise just using 4 x 8GB where you can and try not to mix manufacturers or models where possible.

I agree with PeterHolt on both counts, the 480 is a great card for the money and a 2nd would definitely be worth while in the future, ram is so tricky when you mix and match so I’d be going for another identical set of what you already have to save any compatibility issues

Cool, thanks to you both for taking the time to reply and your advice, thanks again.