Intel 7th Generation "Kaby Lake" Processors

Novatech are now stocking the latest 7th Generation Intel “Kaby Lake” processors in some of our prebuilt units!

You can see the first two machines featuring the brand new processors here and here!

These chips offer lower energy consumption than the previous generation, and are faster and also feature a more powerful integrated graphics processor. They will of course work optimally with Microsoft Windows 10.

The new Intel 7th Generation “Kaby Lake” processors are not compatible with any Microsoft Windows operating system other than Windows 10. This means that any unit using a 7th Gen CPU will not be able to run Windows 7 or 8.1 (or earlier).

Unfortunately for users who wish to continue to use the older versions, It seems that this will be the same on AMD’s upcoming Ryzen processors, too. This is in line with a change in both AMD and Intel’s policies: their CPUs will only support the most recent version of Windows at the time of release. See the below article for more details…
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/

Update; Feb 17 - AMD Ryzen to support Windows 7 https://www.custompcreview.com/news/amd-promises-windows-7-support-ryzen/37213/

I think it’s a disgrace to REQUIRE windows 10 to be able to use a latest gen processor. Not a good business practice at all. Even Windows 7 still has a couple of years of support left, let alone much longer 8/8.1 have.

It’s definitely a different step than what we as consumers are used to. I think it’s the right step forward though. We’ve reached an age in technology that has us with so many old generation of systems, and software, that the market needs a “push” forward from where we’re at.

Before, people refused to switch from XP to 7 because they believed XP would be better for Gaming… eventually the crowds moved forward and 7 became the one people refuse to move from because they feel it’s better. Eventually that too will pass. But we still have people running XP, despite no support remaining for the operating system and any holes and patches requiring security updates not really going to be possible in the future. A company can’t continue to live in the past to satisfy the very few number of consumers that still use it; even if those consumers are business consumers who have networks of ATMs, stock machines and everything else running on outdated hardware/software combinations due to “it works don’t upgrade” mentality, along with the cost cutting measures of many industries.

While I whole heartedly agree, being forced to do something is always horrible, but at the same time, no one forces anyone to purchase the new Kaby Lake, or Zen processors. It’s entirely a consumer choice, especially at the moment, on whether those are things you want going forwards.

To create new and better technologies under the provision of having it work is a 7 year old software platform (or a 15 year old platform if we’re talking XP), is counter intuitive if you want to push the boundaries and further what can be achieved.

In the end, I guess we’ll just see what consumers want when it comes to their purchases :smiley:

(I personally have a Skylake system that I won’t replace until maybe the Generation after Kaby Lake; though I do run Windows 10)

3 Likes

Are Intel going to provide a version of Windows Media Center to go with Windows 10 that’s entirely bug free (even when Windows 10 gets its updates)?? It looks like II bought my i7 6700K, DDR4 RAM and Z170 based motherboard at the right time. For an HTPC with a TV Tuner Card, it makes things much harder if Windows Media Center isn’t built into the OS.

I’m sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been having. Unfortunately it’s rather unlikely that Microsoft will release a version of Windows Media Player for Windows 10, and instead it would be best to move to other Media software to handle things such as Tuner Cards.

I understand that Microsoft have stated they won’t release Media Center for Windows 10 (even though it was built into the pre-release version - I know because I trialled it.

I’m not aware of anything that offers all the same features, is 100% professional with a nice GUI and that’s minimal cost. Until such a product comes along I’ll stay with Windows 7 Home Premium.

From personal experience Media Center was generally the worst of many choices on the market and I always preferred using a program such as Kodi

My point is that for those who don’t want to rely on third party products developed by volunteers but want a fully integrated, reliable, ‘one product does it all’ solution, only Windows 7’s Media Center (or the Win 8.x version if you were quick enough to get in there while it was still available) offers this. As this newest CPU supports neither of these OS’s then Intel is ruling out a lot of potential buyers.

There may be many people with no interest in using their computer as a Home Theatre PC but for those who do want this, Intel is now limiting customers choices and that CAN’T be seen as a good thing.