Issue with new PC booting

Edit: Going to slim this post down. There’s only really one issue. New system is as follows:

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV X GLASS Satin Black Digital RGB Mid-Tower
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Z390 Chipset ATX Motherboard
9th Generation Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6GHz Processor
Corsair Hydro Series H100X 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler
32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
NVIDA GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
Samsung 970 Pro 2TB NVME M.2 SSD (up to 3400MB/s R | 2700MB/s W)
Seagate BarraCuda 8TB Desktop Hard Drive 3.5" SATA III 6GBs 5400RPM 256MB Cache
CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x (2018) 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

After the PC has been switched off for a while (overnight or while I’m at work), it refuses to get past the POST screen when first switched back on. So the Novatech logo and the keyprompts to get into the BIOS etc appear, but then the case fans power down and everything bar the system lighting seems to go dead. If I power off and on again, the system boots fine. If the system has only been switched off for a short time, the system boots fine.

In all other respects, it is a lovely system and has come through every stress-test I’ve thrown at it with flying colours, so no obvious stability issues once past that first cold-boot.

Good morning Roguey,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues on boot like that, I know it can be frustrating to have the extra steps to get everything powered on okay.

The first bet, would be to send us through an email with your order details to novatechsupport@novatech.co.uk

In terms of a quick assessment in what it could be:

Potential switch issue, it would be unlikely but possible. Testing this would be heading internally and swapping the pwr switch with the reset switch on the front panel connections for the motherboard. Effectively meaning you can now use the reset switch on the case to turn off and on.

Otherwise, it could be down to a PSU or Motherboard issue. Both of which can’t really be checked without swapping something out.

If you pop through an email with your details we’ll see what options we have available to get this sorted for you.

Cheers,
Zantid

Thanks for the response.

I’ve tried some changes to the BIOS power settings that I’ve seen suggestion may fix this. If it’s ok, I’ll try this for a day or two before considering other options. Having put a lot of time and effort into getting the new PC set up (including moving over storage drives from my old machine), I’m very reluctant to go down any avenues that would require me to return the machine for repair.

If it turns out that the problem is persistent but unlikely to get any worse, I may just live with it.

That’s not a problem Roguey, I hope those help out and get you up and running without any further problems.

If you do need to get back in contact with us at any point about it, you’re always welcome to send that through to us.

Cheers,
Zantid

Going to do a follow-up post here, in case anybody with the same problem ever comes across this thread via google.

I eventually saw some other people having similar problems with a combination of large NVME SSDs and FastBoot. Disabled FastBoot around 10 days ago and the problem has not recurred since - going to hope it’s fixed now.

The machine’s so powerful I don’t really notice the absence of FastBoot anyway.

For the curious, I did some more digging into this, as even though the problem was resolved, I was interested in what had caused it. Turns out it was nothing to do with the SSD or Fastboot - it was another change I made at the same time that fixed the issue.

It’s a particular issue with that combination of case (Phanteks EVOLVX) and certain Gigabyte motherboards. Phanteks openly admit to some compatibility issues with Gigabyte boards and some of the case’s lighting systems will, under default BIOS settings, continue to draw power when the machine is powered off (one small internal LED and one rear LED were remaining lit). When this is happening, the “first boot fails” problem can occur.

When I turned off FastBoot, I also turned on ErP. With this turned on, the PC was powering down properly (no LEDs at all on when the machine is powered off). This is what resolved the issue.

Hi

Yes this can happen especially with USB Device connected to the Motherboard. With ERP Disabled your system will draw more power in standby as it allows you to wake the system via other means, so for example you can power up PC via keyboard press etc. In order to do this the system must stay in a semi alert state to detect these signals, however it can sometimes cause issues with connected devices which don’t quite reset or properly due to not losing power. Normally its something that gets fixed in a BIOS update. ERP however normally resolves it because with this function enabled your system is not allowed to stay in this semi alert state and instead removes all power from the system that will allow system waking in S5 from other device such as USB and system can only be powered on from power switch. This is of course helpful to resolve those USB Compatability issues that can crop up with some USB device in a soft reset state.

ERP is something that as a system builder we have to enable by default on system we ship as its an EU regulation. This is mainly because modern systems that are in S5 state because of features such as WOL or USB Wake means they could be using 5 or more watts of power even though your not using the system. ERP disables all these functions in order reduce the standby wattage of the system to less than 0.5watts which is standard now for most electronic devices in order to reduce the amount of wasted energy. As you can imagine before ERP was enforced, so many systems the world over were wasting energy that didn’t need to be when customer might not even want to use features such as WOL. So by enabling ERP it saves wasting energy on features that customer does not need and only those that need the features will disable it at the cost of more energy as expected.
So not only did this help fix your issues but you will save some energy and a tiny bit of money as well =D