New Build Advice

I have just built a new PC with the following Parts and would like some help with a couple of questions.
Case: Fractal Define R5 Window
PSU: Corsair HX 850i
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
CPU: Intel i7 6700K
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H80i
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16BG (2 x8) 3200MHz
HD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB
GFX Card: Gigabyte GTX1060 Windforce OC 6GB
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Zx

I would like to add a Wi-Fi card but the modern cards all seem to be PCIEX1, the problem I have is that I can’t access the second PCIEX1 slot due to the motherboard covering it. The only way I can get access to my second PCIEX1 slot would be to move the GFX Card to the PCIEX8 slot, would this slow down the GFX card?
My second question is, I have run out of internal USB ports due to the fact that I have them populated by the Corsair CPU Cooler and the PSU. Is there such a card or connector that can add extra internal USB connectors? I have noticed that each USB header can run 2 USB ports, yet corsair only use 1 USB port per header.
Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Just a note about my new build, if anyone is or has built a similar set up using Corsair components, be aware that the Link software will stop your system going into a power saving mode.

Hi

Just so I am clear here. What’s in the bottom PCI-Express slot. This slot is 4x Electrical but 16x mechanical. If this is free why could you not put the wireless card here?
PCI-E Cards are not slot specific, they are only lane limited. So you can put a 1x Card in a 1x,4x,8x or 16x slot and it will still work. As you have also noted, you could put the GPU in the 8x slot but this will reduce the bandwidth to your card because of a loss of 8 lanes. How much this will impact the performance of the 1060 I am not sure, depends on how your using the card, but its best practice to keep it in the 16x slot when using single card and not SLI.

Cannot say I’ve seen the problem with power saving mode myself with the corsair stuff on my system, all goes to sleep fine.
Make sure BIOS has been flashed to latest version and Drivers are up to date as these can contribute to sleep related issues.

Are you using any of the USB3 internal pin headers. These can be made to accept USB2 Internal connections via an adaptor if you need more internal USB2 support as USB3 pin headers have wiring for both USB3 and USB2 connections.

+1 to @COOPS suggestions, you can install PCIe x1 devices into all the other sizes of PCIe slot and they will work fine. That’s one of the beauties of PCIe :slight_smile:

With regard to more internal USB, you could always add another expansion card to give you more. https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/controllercards/usbcontrollers/pexusb3s42.html will give you an extra 3 external ports as well as another internal USB port.

I hope this helps.

COOPS, I do have one USB 3 port on the mother board free, I will search for one of these adaptors.
I’m a little worried about updating the Motherboard Bios as I’ve read that going from version F6 to F20 is not reversible.

Ryan, I will try using the PCIEX4 Slot for a Wi-Fi Card and keep the 1060 in the PCIEX16.

You are correct that F20 back to F6 is not reversible. This is due to BIOS structure change of adding support for upcoming KABY Lake CPU models. However this is not something to worry about to much as any future BIOS after F6 will all have the same issue, F21, F22 etc.
F20 also contains other fixes such as increased memory support which did not come out in the F7 release as this was rolled up with Kaby Lake to become F20.
We will begin shipping from our Production F20 very soon as we use this mainboard in some of our prebuilt PC.

Thank you very much for your help regarding this issue, I shall up date the Bios to F20 tonight.
Will the Gigabyte Z170 board be capable of running Kabby Lake as I thought that was going to require a new chip set design.

Yes current skylake boards based on chipsets like Z170 and H110 will be able to support Kaby Lake CPU via bios update. However some of the CPU features will not work unless the CPU is combined with one of the new generation boards such as those based on Z270.
However as your motherboard won’t have these features anyway you cannot miss them. So in short yes Kaby Lake will work on Z170 as long as BIOS update has been provided which as far as I know they are all going to do.

This is what BIOS F20 description “support for next generation CPU” means, this is adding 7th Gen Kaby Lake CPU support which are due out early next year.
Hope that helps.

Update.
I have now up dated the Bios from F6 to F20 and have noticed that the UI is so much different, think I need to learn a bit about this Bios, I have also moved the Sound Blaster Z card from the top PCIEX1 slot to the PCIEX4 Slot and will fit a new Wi-Fi card into the top PCIEX1 Slot.
I have found that the Corsair PSU will not let the system go into power saving mode while using the Corsair Link software, I believe this is caused by the PSU talking to the software (PSU LED Blinks Orange and Green). But if I isolate the PSU Link software and just run the Corsair H80i V2, all is fine.
All drivers are up to date as far as I can see and the Corsair Link software is to the latest version.
Please can you advise me if the Gigabyte IEEE 802.11ac Bluetooth 4 combo card is a good choice for my system (Order Code: GIG-100047).