New kid on the block in the M2 market?

Ok so Plextor have a new M2 ssd coming and its looking like a samsung 950/951 killer http://www.goplextor.com/Product/Detail/M8Pe(G)#/Features but alas I fear it’s reign won’t be long with the 961 imminent later this month http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/samsung-1tb-nvme-m-2-ssd-sm961-ships-next-week.html
My 256g 951 is getting full a 512g is definately on the cards :wink:

1 Like

I think I’d wait for 961. Samsung 950 PRO NVME spec for spec is similar to the Plextor. Its just they vary in performance in a couple of features. The Samsung is better in one area while the Plextor is better in another. In real world usage they probably perform just the same.

961 one however that looks nice =D

1 Like

Man if the price of that 1TB is reasonable, I’d be tempted…since my last upgrade I went full SSD and despite having a 256gb 951 for the OS and 2x 500Gb 850s, I still keep running out of game space :frowning:

1 Like

I’ll certainly be keeping to Samsung as all my ssd are now the same make but it’s certainly nice to they a competitor now as nothing was coming close.
hiPeanut that’s some serious game space lol I’m just about ok with my 256g 850’s raid0 for now but can see me adding to the array shortly

Agreed Samsung have really taken a large chunk of the M.2 market for proper PCIE Type cards. So they could do with some good competition to help keep them honest in the pricing but I have Samsung M.2 and its been flawless so I would probably buy my next one from them as well… Maybe a 961 :wink:

1 Like

Yes I’ll be going 512 for the boot drive this time 256 is ok but 1 decent size game and a year of operating and it starting to get a little clogged or thats my poor excuse to justify getting the new 961 lol
want to raid 0 a pair of them to see what mad results they come up with

For those that have not seen them yet. The new Consumer Samsung M.2 Drives that are coming, the 960 Pro and 960 EVO

1 Like

Dayummmn … those sequential read/write times on the 960pro :open_mouth:

1 Like

Wow I’m in the market for a 512g too now I’m thrown from the 961 version but will have to see when the prices are released

I having a feeling they are going to be a little more than the OEM SM961 model, Maybe the EVO might be similar pricing but the PRO will probably be more.

Yeah was thinking they will be around the same difference as the 950/951, not sure the extra is really worth it still but had OEM of the 951 so might splash out on the posh version this time around lol :wink:

Well the posh version does make it easier to get firmware updates and you also get the nice Windows Utility to monitor the drive which the OEM Versions did not have. Just depends if you want all that jazz =D

1 Like

You know me mate I do like all those shiny extras so depending on pricing now I guess lol! That 2k 144hz monitor is getting pushed back again :grimacing: