Nvidia GTX 1080 TI

Hi All,

A newbie here, I was hoping someone could kindly answer a couple of questions for me!

I’m looking to upgrade my GPU, currently an AMD R9 290 4gb that I’ve had for a few years now. Although it still plays most games at high settings at a resolution of 2560 x 1080, when I load up Lockheed Martins Prepar3D v3.2 flight sim it starts struggling a bit.
Because of this I’m planning to upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU, the thing only that niggles me about it is the talk of a 1080 Ti in the future. (sorry I know that they’ve only just released it!)
Does anyone have an idea of the likely timescale between the release of the two versions?

Also, what make of graphics card would you recommend for warrenties etc? MSI, XFX, EVGA,
Zotac??

My Specs are below;

Intel Core i7 - 6700K CPU @ 4.5GHz (Oc),
ASRock Z170 Extreme6 Motherboard,
AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB GPU,
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM,
Asus MX299Q 29" 2560x1080 IPS Ultra Widescreen Monitor,

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Keith.

Hi Keith

The current status of a 1080TI is no where as near to this present future yet as Nvidia are still yet to release the other versions like the 1070, 50, and 60. The 1080TI will most likely not be released until later this year if not at the end of the year. Mostly as they like to offer all of the series a chance in the market. The 1080 is also not fully released as you can only purchase founders editions until the 16th June

To be entirely truthful, a 1080 should work fine. These cards perform better than 2 x 980’s in SLI according to Nvidia and they are also higher rated than the 980TI and Titan X in performance and power. Nvidia claim that a single 1080 can handle 4K resolutions with high settings and maintaining a good FPS when playing games

In regards to brands. I have always found EVGA to be the most reliable and higher clocked to a personal perspective but other manufacturers like Gigabyte, Asus and MSI are also very high followers

I hope it helps

any further questions, feel free to ask

HarryP - Novatech Sales Representative
Online rep code: 7853

Can’t always be waiting for the next thing to come out or we would never buy anything! It’s a tough 1 though think it’s an interesting time to be in the market for a new gpu though with Polaris outing in a few days. The only thing I would suggest is wait for the pricing to level out a bit as they are looking a little hiked at the moment lol