P651RE6-G - Display goes out of limits

Hello,

I’ve had this issue plaguing me with the aforementioned laptop for over a year. I followed the signposts that Micrososft gave me and updated the laptop, now whenever the Intel iGPU is on the laptop is enabled the built-in display goes blank.

After doing some digging with external displays plugged in I found that it’s because the internal display get’s set to a crazily high resolution (2048x1536@49Hz) when I know it’s probably limited to the 1920x1080@60Hz range. This is an issue in Windows 10 because even if you set a resolution of 1920x1080 it will default to a maximum “signal resolution” of whatever the highest resolution is available in the EDID.

The internal display responds as a PNP09FF allegedly.

I tried experimenting with a Pop!_OS and a PartedMagic live USB stick but both times when they go and add the monitor they go wildly out of range (resulting in a blank built-in screen, popOS at least recognised the external display). I can’t even fix it in this mode, even though I set a lower resolution in let’s say popOS nVidia settings it still doesn’t fix it, even though I can also adjust the backlight with no problems using the system slider.

Is there any way of fixing this? Would it work if I fully wiped and reinstalled Windows using the drivers located on this post? https://forum.novatech.co.uk/t/laptop-drivers-manuals/148

Or is it something on the laptops firmware that needs to be flashed to restore it?

Thanks in advance

Windows 10 forcing 2048x1536 “active signal resolution” when iGPU is on

Hi, This is not one ive heard of before to be honest. Can you confirm the following.

Intel HD 530 Windows Driver version.
System BIOS version which will look something like this 1.05.01
EC BIOS version which will look something like this 1.05.01

SYSTEM and EC BIOS versions can be obtained from the main page of the BIOS. Intel Driver version can be check in windows device manager under display adaptors.

For testing purpose please make sure no external screens are connected that could be sending incorrect EDID information in to the system which might result in wrong screen supported functions. We need to check system is working correctly without external display as this will prove if issue is related to internal display or external display.

BIOS version 1.05.12TNO
KBC/EC firmware 1.05.06

fwiw
ME FW Version 11.0.0.1183

The only reason for the external display is the issue that the laptop internal display goes blank when the Intel GPU is enabled in Windows 10.

The fault was first identified when after a Windows update the user would start the laptop, hear the Windows startup sounds, but have a blank screen.

It can be replicated by re-enabling the Intel 530 GPU in the device manager. Doing so instantly sets the screen resolution to the aforementioned on. Disabling the GPU doesn’t clear the fault until the system is restarted.

I will have a look for BIOS update for you but can you tell me Intel VGA Driver version in use so we can check with Intel for any issue with driver. If its older driver it is definitely worth checking especially as issue happened after Windows update we might need to update display driver to newer version due to changes in Windows OS especially if changes in WDDM version as Windows update actually did Major windows update from say Windows 10 1809 to 1903 as an example as this changes can sometimes require driver updates as well.

So the driver versions are:
Intel; 26.20.100.7262 25/09/2019
nVidia; 26.21.14.4250 24/02/2020

I’ve tried downloading and running the driver disc linked in these forums to no avail. I’m trying to avoid doing a complete wipe and restore, and my foray into bootable Linux drivers put me off.

Please can you update to latest Intel VGA Driver from this link and retest issue

Tried this at the time, still no change in behaviour.