Should you suspect a failing hard disk drive or solid state drive, please follow the below instructions on how to download and run the Seagate Seatools software to test your hard drive for faults.
(1) Please download the Seatools for Windows program installer from the following website.
(2) You will need to accept the terms and conditions and then click the blue DOWNLOAD button.
(3) Once the download has finished, open your Downloads folder and double click the SeaToolsforWindowsSetup.exe file. Make sure you then accept any security prompts asking you if you wish to run the file.
(4) Click Next
(5) Choose to Accept the terms of the Licence Agreement, Click Next
(6) Choose the Installation Directory (Destination Folder). The default entry is normally fine. Click Next
(7) Click Install
(8) Wait for the installation to finish.
(9) Click Finish
(10) Wait for the software to scan the various hard disk controllers on the system.
(11) Click I Accept to Accept the Seatools Licence Agreement
(12) Tick the box for every single drive listed on the system. On the example screenshot, there are 5 drives.
(13) Click Basic Tests
(14) Choose Long Generic
(15) If the following message appears, choose All and then press F8 on the top row of your keyboard, after reviewing the message. If this message doesn’t appear, go to the next step.
(16) Wait for the tests to complete. This may take a number of hours. In the example, the largest of the drives will take 3 hours and 8 minutes to test.
(17) Once the test has completed, you will see the below result.
SEATOOLS TEST RESULTS
If the colour of the result is GREEN, then your drive has tested as good working order. If you are experiencing problems with your system, your testing can move onto other areas.
If the colour of the result is RED, then your drive has a fault. Please contact us advising the Model Number and Firmware versions of the failed drive, if this is under warranty.
If you would like to discuss your results please feel free to give us a call on 02392 322 500 and choose to speak with technical support.
I hope this helps!