Upgrade time - please check my spec before i purchase

Hi all,

i am planning on visiting novatech this weekend to purchase an upgrade. please advise on what i have selected.

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard
Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe High Performance SSD
i7 6700K 4.0GHz Socket LGA1151
Corsair Vengeance PLX 3000MHz ???

any view or advice welcome

Great upgrades, Iā€™m more of a fan of the X99 and 5820k CPU at this price range 2 more cores and 4 more threads for very little extra just makes more sense to me for the future, but either way its great performance which ever you choose. The ram is fine cant go wrong with Corsair

HI Jonny,

i did look at the x99 but what i have should be enough, i like how this mobo makes use of the M.2 SSD, however i will give it some more time

I have now settled on a case

Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black

So really now i need recommendations on CPUcooler and PSU (modular)

Hi Jimlad!

I have just finished a build -

GIGABYTE GA-Z170-HD3P
INTEL CORE I7 6700K
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-17000 2133MHz
PM951 256GB M.2 PCIE NVME
NZXT H440
EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 G2
BE QUIET! BK018 DARK ROCK 3

Which is around and about the same build as you.

To be honest the money you are putting into the motherboard / CPU combo, I would have to agree with Jonny that the X99 5820k would be a serious consideration.

I went for a full on black theme in and out of my PC, so opted for the Dark Rock 3 cooler, because I cannot see anyway that my CPU will ever need more. Water cooling is a option worth considering as well, especially if you are going to be overclocking.

A few of us in the support team at Novatech have the H440 cases, you should perhaps consider that too as it is a great case (and comes in a variety of spangly colours, and also the super sexy all black non-windowed version :slight_smile: )

The X99 chipset also uses the M2 ssd so its a very viable option for me considering the difference in cost, can never have too much pc power I say :joy:
As for PSU what gpu are you planning to put in the new pc?

thanks for the info guys,

i did look at that NZXT H440 case and it is very nice, but i do slightly prefer the Evolv ATX for me.

how do you find the dark rock ?

i was leaning towards the - Corsair Hydro Series H110i - just making sure it will work with the case

Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard
Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe High Performance SSD
i7 6700K 4.0GHz Socket LGA1151
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
RM850I Corsair PSU
Corsair Hydro Series H110i

ordered!

1 Like

Enjoy! Dont forget to show off your rig in Show off your Battlestation and Benchmark

Enjoy your build Jim let us know how it all goes!!!