8GB (1x 8GB) DDR4 2133Mhz Dimm
NO OPTICAL DRIVE REQUIRED
No Discrete Graphics Card Required
Novatech 500Watt PSU
Novatech ATX Gaming Case
Gigabyte GA-MA-H110M-S2H Motherboard
0 X Stock CPU Cooler
Onboard Audio

In addition I have a spare graphics card (my son upgraded his). The card says AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB on it.

He told me that I would need a 500W PSU which is why I went for that one.

I already have an SSD drive, a 2T normal drive and a DVD burner (might be IDE, need to check) from my old PC.

Can anyone see any problems with the above order and the 6950 card? Is the PSU powerful enough and will it have the right connectors? Will that case be big enough?

Unlike my son I do not need a hard core gaming machine. I will use it mostly as a standard desktop with occasional virtualisation of Linux or FreeBSD virtual machines using virtualbox, and a bit of programming. I’m not interested in overclocking or anything.

I need a real RS232 port but that motherboard says that it has a “header” so that should be okay.

I would like to be able to play the occasional game maybe but I don’t need to play the latest and greatest stuff like my son. I only really enjoy driving games anyway.

For a few pence more they were offering a ASUS H110M-A Intel H110 (Socket 1151) Motherboard but I can’t see what the difference is.

Novatech are currently saying out of stock so if there is a problem I can easily cancel or change it.

I haven’t built a PC for maybe 15 years so my knowledge is really out of date.

Thanks for any advice, Philip

Actually I think that I have a problem with the PSU. It says in the PSU section of the site that these only have one 6+2 connector, and the 6950 needs two.

woops.

All seems fine to me but would definitely change the PSU for a branded model with sufficient pcie connectors for your GPU

Thanks

I cancelled the order and changed a couple of things:-

1 x Custom BB-61004 BB
[BB-X000784] - Out of stock

Intel 6th Gen Dual Core I3 6100 3.7GHz
8GB (1x 8GB) DDR4 2133Mhz Dimm
Samsung 224DB 24x DVD Re-Writer - SATA - Black - OEM
No Discrete Graphics Card Required
Novatech Power Station V2 Modular 600 Watt PSU
Novatech ATX Gaming Case
ASUS H110M-A Intel H110 (Socket 1151) Motherboard
0 X Stock CPU Cooler
Onboard Audio

I couldn’t see much difference between Gigabyte and Asus but a google of various forums suggests that enthusiasts seem to rate Asus higher than Gigabyte so I changed that. My DVD is IDE so I need a new one. The PSU is now 600W and it has two 6 pin plugs.

Ive had a few Gigabyte boards and am not a big fan either lol Prefer Asus even though I have my gripes with them at the moment but still the better board imo

The build looks pretty solid for the usage you require, the PSU change was certainly a good idea as you never want to use the bare minimum a graphics card recommends (plus you need the right connectors anyway!).

Motherboard choice is a personal preference more than anything, but like Jonny I certainly prefer Asus myself, although you are unlikely to see a difference in general usage.

As the case is billed as a ‘gaming case’ it should certainly be sufficient in size for a 6950 as they aren’t the largest of cards by far.

I will add that the reason why it shows as out of stock is due to the fact you have made a customised build order. Any customised build is built to order, so once you place the order it then goes in the production queue. This is mentioned on the side during the customising process as it will generally take around 7-10 days at the most for a standard custom build unless you pay for the faster option.

1 Like

This is how it worked out…

New PC

1 Like

Old 6950 card which is huge

I can’t post the rest of the story :-1:

The robots think that pictures of my new Novatech PC are spam :rolleyes:

They don’t have that emoticon either…

backplate removed from the 6950

still doesn’t fit
the card is quite twisted and puts too much strain on the PCIE connector

so I cut a notch in card chassis with a hacksaw and a file

2 Likes

and cut a scrap piece of steel to make a clip

5 Likes

Looks like you had fun lol! Excellent enjoy your new rig, we all love shiny new things :wink: